July 19, 2008

Vacation!!!

Ocean sunset, summer 2007

A short entry here. I think .. You never know, once I get going it can get out of hand.

It has been a hot and humid week in Boston, as summer day should be. Life has been pretty quiet for the most part, it has been too hot to move very quickly. The boy has settled into his summer day camp, and the routine suits us all.

Mrs. has been reasonably busy with her new job, and is fitting right in. The organization is going thru some painful times as they are doing some internal reorganizing and feelings are being hurt as some employees are getting passed over for advancement, others are dissatisfied with the direction that the changes are taking, and a few are jumping ship. This is not necessarily a bad thing, and Mrs. being new and not been on board long enough to know all the past politics, all she can really do is wait and see. She did get a new supervisor who she says is young enough to be her daughter. I asked Mrs. what this individual did to get such a position at such a young age, and her response was, ‘That is what a lot of people are asking.’ We shall see.

We are getting ready to go on our annual trip out west to visit my family in Seattle. My mother and 6 of my siblings still live in the general area, and one sister lives in San Francisco. We all get together about this time every year, and the big event is a huge camping trip. Last year we went to the ocean and I believe we had 7 campsites, 31 people and 5 dogs. I am not sure we will exceed that this year as one of the 31 was a Japanese exchange student that was living with one of my brother’s families. I am sure she had some stories to tell when she got home. This year we are going to the mountains north of Seattle in the general vicinity of Mt Baker, near the busting metropolis of Concrete. It is beautiful country, and it is places like that I miss by not living in the Northwest. New England has some very beautiful places that I very much enjoy, but even after all these years, the Northwest still is ‘home’.


(Poking at the fire last year.)

So, as I sit here, we are packed and ready to go. The boy is bathed and in bed, and I am just chillin’. That is if you can ‘chill’ while you are sweating profusely. The flight is at 9am, and we live close to the airport so we don’t have to get up at the crack o’ dawn. We will probably get up about 5:30 or 6, shower, grab a quick bite and to be to the airport about 7:30. This year, the boy and I are heading out first and Mrs., will follow in a few days. It turns out that she has to attend a conference in Washington DC Monday thru Thursday, so she is flying out next Friday early and we are dragging her to the campground directly from the airport. Talk about culture shock.

So let me wrap this up. I am not sure if I will be able to blog from the trip, but I’ll see what I can do last time we visited my mothers computer was in demand by lots of people including her. She is not your typical 80 year-old; she knows how to use the thing like a weapon.




I’ll come back with plenty of bad photos to share I am sure.

No comments: