January 29, 2009

More Odds and Ends



Two entries in one day? How can that be ? AS I mentioned in the previous entry I started this a few days ago but left it on my flash drive in the office.

It would seem like I have been neglecting my blog again. I thought it was just a couple days ago that I posted an entry, but it has been a week and a half. Where has the time gone? I won’t go into a day-by-day posting here, but not surprisingly I have been just a tad busy at work. Classes began on the 14th, and it has been a hustle in the office ever since. As far as the theatre goes, it is going to be a very busy term. Usually there are no events of note in January, and February doesn’t get bust until later in the month then it is non-stop until the end of April. Not so this time around. The first event of the term was last Friday; the first of a 3-week series called ‘Best Dance Crew, based in the television show of the same name. It pits the various campus dance and performance group against on another. The first one was a fun event and much to my surprise had almost 400 people in the audience. We will see how the following weeks go.

The rest of the events for the term are starting to fall into place, and I am having visits by gaggles of student producers stopping in to discuss their events. There seems to be about a dozen really active performance groups on campus about half of them perform in this space. Those that do perform here like to invite the other groups to perform a piece as a ‘guest’ of the host group, including that group who already perform regularly in the space. Over the course of the term a few campus organizations also produce ‘variety’ shows as fundraiser for any number of causes. They too invite the various campus performing groups to perform a piece in their shows. The result is that all the same groups seem to be performing in the theatre on any given weekend regardless of whom the primary performing organization is. It gets just a little repetitive. And to be perfectly honest, many of the performances are just not that good, but the kids are having a great time performing for their friends, it just becomes hard to see the same mediocre work over and over again. Oh, am I sounding jaded… It is going to be a long semester I think.

Another little Youtube note here. A couple of month back I posted a video of Alejandro Escovedo playing at the Democratic National Convention. I had taped it off the TV when it was broadcast (he opened for Hilary Clinton) edited it on my Mac and uploaded, and thought nothing of it. Time passed ….. A couple days ago I logged on the Alejandro’s My Space page to read some reviews that were posted there, and I noticed that featured on his My Space page was a video of him playing at the DNC. A little research proved that it was in fact a link to the video that I had posted in Youtube. I was chuffed.!

Here is another little moment of Zen. We went to see Ritchie Havens in concert just before Christmas. The concert was wonderful by the way; we had read some biological information somewhere that mentioned that his grandfather was part Native American from the same reservation as much of Mrs. family is from on Long Island. We had hoped that Ritchie would do a meet and greet after the show and Mrs. was going to mention something about being ‘cousins’. Unfortunately the concert hall policy didn’t allow for that so instead when we got home Mrs. sent him an email to the address listed on his website, and left it at that. Much to everyone’s surprise yesterday a response from Ritchie arrived in her in-box, thanking us for attending the concert, and saying that yes they might be cousins, as he was doing research into his grandfather and other relatives on the ‘Res’. She was chuffed!

Mrs. suddenly has people sending her job listings for positions with foundations. She had a job interview last week for a position with the foundation that she did a fellowship with in 2007. When she had finished the fellow ship there was some talk of finding her a permanent position there, but nothing came of it at the time. She was a little disappointed, but moved on to take a development position with a national charity for which she works today. The job is right in her filed, environmental work, and she felt the interview went well, but now there is a lot more competition for the position. They told her that they hoped to have the candidate pool down to 10 people by April. (Fingers crossed.) The other some one else forwarded her a job posting for a similar position with another foundation. She doesn’t mind the work at the charity where she is now, although she does have some differences with management in here area, she feels that it isn’t really able to use her full skill set and knowledge where she is now. Perhaps someone is looking out for her.

That is probably enough right now, I have more on my mind but I’ll save it for another entry.

The new construction behind us.

No comments: